Committees of the Indian Constitution
- The Constituent Assembly appointed several committees for framing the constitution. Some of the important committees were:
- Union powers committee of members chaired by Jawaharlal Nehru.
- The committee on Fundamental Rights and minorities of 54 members chaired by Sardar Patel.
- The committee on Union constitution of 15 members with Jawaharlal Nehru-as Chairman.
- The provincial constitution committee of 25 members chaired by K.R. Munshi.
- These committees submitted their reports between April & August 1947.
- This draft contained 240 clauses and 13 schedules in order to consider the Draft constitution; a Drafting Committee under the Chairmanship of Dr. B.R. Ambedkar was set up.
- While the formal centers of the work of drafting the constitution were no doubt the Constituent Assembly and Drafting Committee, the Congress leaders held the important powers of decision-making.
- In a way the Congress Working Committee was the real architect of the constitution in that most of the important decisions were arrived at on the basis of what the Congress leaders suggested.
- Granvile Austin points out those four men – Jawaharlal Nehru, Sardar Patel, Rajendra Prasad and Abul Kalam Azad – constituted a virtual oligarchy in the Assembly and dominated the proceedings by virtue of the prestige and power they enjoyed both in the Congress and in the Government.
Important Committees of the Constituent Assembly
|IMPORTANT COMMITTEES OF THE CONSTITUENT ASSEMBLY AND THEIR CHAIRMEN|
|Name of the Committee||Chairman|
|1. Committee on the Rules of Procedure||Rajendra Prasad|
|2. Steering Committee||Rajendra Prasad|
|3. Finance and Staff Committee||Rajendra Prasad|
|4. Credential Committee||Alladi Krishnaswami Ayyar|
|5. House Committee||B. Pattabhi Sitaramayya|
|6. Order of Business Committee||K.M. Munsi|
|7. Ad hoc Committee on the National Flag||Rajendra Prasad|
|8. Committee on the Functions of the Constituent Assembly||G.V. Mavalankar|
|9. States Committee||Jawaharlal Nehru|
|10. Advisory Committee on Fundamental Rights, Minoritiesand Tribal and Excluded Areas||Vallabhbhai Patel|
|11. Fundamental Rights Sub-Committee||J.B. Kripalani|
|12. North-East Frontier Tribal Areas and Assam Exluded & Partially Excluded Areas Sub-Committee||Gopinath Bardoloi|
|13. Excluded and Partially Excluded Areas (Other than those in Assam) Sub-Committee||A.V. Thakkar|
|14. Union Powers Committee||Jawaharlal Nehru|
|15. Union Constitution Committee||Jawaharlal Nehru|
|16. Drafting Committee||B.R. Ambedkar|