The legislative assembly and legislative council are terms for the State Governments.
The Legislative Assembly (Vidhan Sabha) is the lower house of the state government consisting of directly elected members of the people (similar to the Lok Sabha at the centre).
The Legislative Council (Vidhan Parishad) is the upper house of the state government consisting of indirectly elected members i.e. municipal bodies and panchayats elect them, and some are nominated by the Governor (this is similar to the Rajya Sabha at the centre). However, only 8 states of India have a Legislative Council, as it is not a very powerful or a necessary house. All states have a Legislative Assembly, though.
The Legislative Council does not enjoy equal Legislative powers with Legislative Assembly. It is a mere advisory chamber.
In the first journey of a bill it can interpose some delay i.e. 3 months. In second journey, the Council shall have no power to withhold the Bill for more than a month. In case of disagreement between the two Houses, there is no provision of a joint sitting.
|Legislative Assembly||Legislative Council|
|1. To be a member a person should not be less than 25 years of age |
2. The term of the house is of 5 years
3. The limit of the members is 60 to 500
Members are elected by direct election
5. Both Money and Non- Money bills can be initiated
6. It can participate in the elections of the President
7. No-Confidence Motion can be passed
8. It can pass a resolution for the creation and abolition of Legislative Council in the State
|1. To be a member a person should not be less than 30 years of age |
2. It is a permanent house. Not a subject to dissolution
3. The limit of the members is 40 to 1/3 of the total members of the assembly
4. 1/3 are elected by MLA’s
1/3 by members of local bodies
1/12 elected by graduates
1/12 elected by teachers
1/6 nominated by Governor
5. Only Non- Money Bills can be initiated
6. It cannot participate in the elections of the President
7. No-Confidence Motion cannot be passed
8. It cannot pass a resolution for the creation and abolition of Legislative