Criticism of the Constituent Assembly
- Every great step in the history is followed by the criticism of the same. In the same manner, the Constituent Assembly was also criticized. Some of the points included:
- The Constituent Assembly was not a representative body as its members were not directly elected by the people of India.
- As the Constituent Assembly was created on the proposals of the British Government, some people didn’t consider it as a Sovereign body.
- Some compared it to the framers of the American Constitution, who constituted the American Constitution in 4 months, stating that the constituent assembly consumed too much time.
- Granville Austin even stated that “The Constituent Assembly was a one-party body”.
- Critics stated it as a “Lawyer-Politician Domination.”
- And above all, some even named it as a “Hindu Dominated Constituent Assembly”.