GS Paper I- History of the World and Society.
Lifters Sathish Kumar, RV Rahul Win Gold In Commonwealth & Oceania Championship Held At Gold Coast, Australia, Qualify For 2018 Commonwealth Games.
- Sathish Sivalingam won gold in the senior men’s 77kg category of the Commonwealth and Oceania Championships held at Gold Coast in Australia on 7th September, 2017.
- The 25-year-old’s win ensured he made the grade for next year’s Commonwealth Games (CWG) which will be held at Gold Coast as well.
- In the competition, Sathish lifted 148kg in snatch and 172kg in clean & jerk to produce a total effort of 320kg which was enough to fetch him the yellow metal.
Highlights Of The Development–
- The Indian team weightlifting team reached Australia almost three weeks ahead of the competition.
- The In2Fitness gym in Melbourne became the base for Sathish in the lead up to the competition.
- Another lifter Ragala Venkat Rahul also qualified for next year’s CWG after winning a gold medal. Rahul created several new records en-route to his standout total lift of 351kg while in both senior and junior men’s categories. He lifted 156kg in snatch and 195kg competingin clean & jerk.
- Meanwhile, the Indians did well in the junior and youth sections as well. In junior men’s 77kg, Ajay Singh bagged the yellow metal with a total lift of 310kg (140kg + 170kg).
- In youth boys’ category, Ragala Varun clinched the gold with an overall effort of 269kg (124kg + 145kg), while Abhishek Poonia settled for a bronze as he lifted 113kg in snatch and 143kg in clean & jerk for a total of 256kg.
- Two Indian women weightlifters also claimed gold medals. S Nirupama Devi (junior women’s 69kg) lifted a total weight of 178kg (77kg + 101kg) while Nikeeta Kale (youth girls 69kg) lifted a total of 163kg (73kg + 90kg) to finish on the top of the podium.
Sources- The Times Of India.
GS Paper II- Governance.
Andhra CM Naidu Launches Muchumarri Lift Irrigation 2nd Phase, Jala Siriki Harati Programme.
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu on 8th September, 2017, launched the Handriniva Muchumarri lift irrigation’s 2nd Phase and the Jala Siriki Harathi programme for HCL water.
- He also held public meeting in Indravati Village, Uravakonda Mandal and Anantapur district.
Highlights Of The Development-
- Naidu’s son and Minister for IT, Raj and Rural Development Nara Lokesh said that AP government will complete digging of three lakh farm ponds by the end of this year and will dig twpanchayato lakh more ponds by next farming season.
- As part of the three day long program, Lokesh offered prayers at Head water works office from where drinking water is supplied to the households in Vijayawada East constituency.
- Local Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLAs), Member of Legislative Council (MLCs), Member of Parliament (MPS), Telugu Desam Party (TDP) leaders and general public took part in the programme.
Sources- Financial Express.
GS Paper III- Technology.
SpaceX Launches US Air Force’s Super-Secret Minishuttle.
- SpaceX launched the US Air Force’s super-secret space shuttle on 7th September, 2017, a technology tester capable of spending years in orbit.
- The unmanned Falcon rocket blasted off from Florida’s Kennedy Space Center.
- It’s the fifth flight for one of these crewless minishuttles, known as the X-37B Orbital Test Vehicle.
- The two Air Force space planes have already logged a combined 5 years in orbit.
Highlights Of The Development-
- The last mission lasted almost two years and ended with a May touchdown at the runway formerly used by NASA’s space shuttles. The first one launched in 2010.
- As has become customary, SpaceX landed its leftover booster back at Cape Canaveral for eventual reuse.
- This was the first time SpaceX has provided a lift for the experimental minishuttle. The previous missions relied on United Launch Alliance’s Atlas V rockets. Air Force officials said they rockets for the X-37B program, to launch quickly if warrawant to use a variety ofnted.
- The Boeing-built minishuttle is 29 feet long, with a 14-foot wingspan. By comparison, NASA’s retired space shuttles were 122 feet long, with a 78-foot wingspan.
- SpaceX stopped providing details about the X-37B’s climb to orbit, a few minutes after liftoff at the Air Force’s request. The booster’s return to SpaceX’s landing zone at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, however, was broadcast live.
- It was SpaceX’s 16th successful return of a first-stage booster. Booster rockets are normally discarded at sea.
Sources- ABC News.