GS Paper I- History and Geography of the World and Society.
India Is Second Largest Market For Pharma, Biotech Workforce: Report.
- With 13.7 per cent contribution to the global pharmaceuticals and biotechnology workforce, India has emerged as the second largest market for the industry, a report by professional networking giant LinkedIn has revealed.
- The report, detailed in the newly released e-book “The Indian Pharma and Biotech Industry”, showed that while New Delhi, Kolkata and Chandigarh are thriving grounds for talent in this sector in India, talent migration is highest to the US.
Highlights Of The Development–
- Nearly 48 per cent of the talent from the pharma and biotech industry in the US is moving to India and 36 per cent is migrating to the US from India, the company said in a statement on 10th October, 2017.
- Talent migrating to other countries mainly comprise of researchers, scientists, quality assurance professionals, statistics programmers and data analysts.
- Talent coming to India include professionals hailing from sales followed by quality assurance and research.
- The pharma and biotech professionals studied in this report were selected based on LinkedIn’s 500+ million-member data as of September 2017.
- LinkedIn analysed key platform engagement metrics and indices over the last year to map talent availability, migration, mobility and behaviour trends.
- Major Indian and global pharma companies were analysed to understand engagement patterns of the talent pool.
GS Paper II- Governance.
Anupam Kher Appointed As New Chairman Of Film And Television Institute Of India (FTII).
- Veteran Actor Anupam Kher was on 11th October, 2017 appointed as the new chairperson of India’s premier Film and Television institute (FTII) replacing Gajendra Chauhan.
- His wife Kirron Kher is a member of BJP and Lok Sabha MP from Chandigarh.
- Mr. Kher will succeed controversial Gajendra Chauhan under whose Chairmanship, the FTII for the first time in its history saw a 139-day strike. Among other things, one of the demands of the students was to replace Mr Chauhan. Chauhan’s term ended in March 2017 and the post has been vacant since then.
Highlights Of The Development-
- Mr. Kher an alumnus of National School of Drama, has acted in over 500 films, many of them critically acclaimed projects. His repertoire includes international projects such as Bend It Like Beckham and Silver Linings Playbook.
- In the last NDA government, Mr. Kher headed the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC). He was conferred the Padma Shri in 2004 and the Padma Bhushan in 2016 for his contribution in the field of cinema and arts.
- Born on March 7, 1955, in Shimla, Mr. Kher completed his education from the DAV School in the city. He made his acting debut in 1982 with Aagman, but the 1984 Mahesh Bhatt film Saaransh was his breakout role. Then just 28, Mr. Kher played the role of a retired middle class man grappling with his son’s death.
- After Saaransh, he went on to star opposite many big Bollywood celebrities, including Anil Kapoor, Shah Rukh Khan, Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar, sometimes as the villain, the comic relief or the friendly father.
- Kher is considered one of the most prolific and versatile actors in the Hindi film industry . His acting career spans over 35 years.
GS Paper III- Economic Development.
PM’s Economic Advisory Council Holds First Meeting On 11th October, 2017; Members In Consensus On Reasons For Slowdown.
- Members of the Prime Minister’s newly-constituted Economic Advisory Council at their first meeting on 11th October, 2017, have reached a consensus on the reasons for the economic slowdown and have decided on 10 areas to work on, chairman Bibek Debroy said at a press briefing.
- At the meeting held at the NITI Aayog, it was also decided to work on the monetary policy and fiscal framework in consultation with the Reserve Bank of India.
Highlights Of The Development-
- Debroy said the council will have informal meetings and next meeting is slated for November, 2017.
- On 10th October, 2017, the government had said in a statement that the council members will address all issues of emergent importance and will engage with a broad spectrum of stakeholders.
- In the run-up to the meeting, the council chaired by NITI Aayog Member Bibek Debroy had held a brainstorming session with several stakeholders on 9th October, 2017.
- The Council comprising of reputed economists and experts is mandated to analyze all critical economic and other issues referred to it by the Prime Minister and advising him thereon.
- It is also required to address issues of macro-economic importance and presenting views thereon.