GS Paper II-Governance, Polity.
Union Minister Nitin Gadkari Inugrates The Indian National Congress Meeting At Udaipur On 14th July, 2017.
- The union Minister of Road Transport and Highway and Shipping Nitin Gadkari on Friday, 14th July, 2017 inaugurated the 212th Mid -Term Council meeting on road safety Scenario in India held at Hotel Radisson Blu of Udaipur, Rajasthan.
- The two day meeting organized by Indian Road Congress would provide a common platform for discussing and to identifying the constant and the best available road practices.
- It will focus on planning, constituting and implementing the action plans to bring a noticeable fall in road mishaps keeping in view the guidelines of United Nations.
- The Indian Road Congress is the apex body of highway engineers in the country.
Highlights Of The Event-
- During the two days event emphasis was laid on making highly equipped road networks and use of waste material in construction. In his inaugural speech the Minister expressed concern over the high rate of road mishaps in the country.
- Countries like U.K, America and Germany are having better techniques and standards of Roads, Bridges and other constructions which can also be adopted by India and the IRC codes should also be developed as per our Environment.
- He also added that the Central Government is willing to spend 25 lakh crores for the development and expansion of road network in the country, out of which the order of 6 lakh crores has already being given.
- There is major need of developing road network in the country and the Government has already sanctioned a budget of Rs. 1 lakh crores for in this regard and will extend it to 1.5 lakh crores if required.
- The construction of 3 major Express Highways is under way. Besides that Gadkari said that to make all highways green, last year (2016) Maharashtra Government had planted more than 2 crore trees out of which 1.7 crores are still alive. He suggested that if one tree dies, one should plant ten more of them.
- Home Minister Gulab Chand Kataria, State Transport Minister Yunus Khan and several senior officials of Public Works Department were also present on the occasion.
- The meeting which is based on Road Safety Scenario is being participated by more than 300 delegates from across the country.
Sources- Business-Standard, Dailyudaipur.
GS Paper III- Technology, Economic Development, Environment.
Haryana To Set Up Ultra-Modern Ornament At Fish Hatchery.
- Haryana government has decided to set up a hi-tech and ultra-modern ornamental fish hatchery, that would be the first-of-its-kind project in the country. Agriculture and Farmers Welfare and Fisheries Minister Om Prakash Dhankar on Wednesday, 13th July, 2017 said that the fish hatchery would set up in district Jhajjar at a cost of Rs 13.68 Crore.
- He said that it has also been proposed to develop about 16,000 acres of water-logged land in district Jhajjar and Charki Dadri for fish farming so as to generate a new source of income for the farmers.
- The minister further stated that farming of white shrimp (Safed Jhinga) would be done over 400 hectares additional unutilised saline land under the Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojna Scheme during the year 2017-18. Under the scheme, shrimp rearers would be provided a 50 per cent grant of the total unit cost and for this, the state government has made a provision of Rs 5,110 lakh.
- During the present government in Haryana, the state has become the first land locked state where white shrimp farming is being done on saline land. As many as 16 Recirculating Aquaculture System (RAS) unit would be set up in the state, he added.
- Dhankar also added that fish production of 40 tonnes per acre would be done by the fish-rearers at a cost of Rs 50 lakh per unit and on this; the Fisheries department would provide a grant of 50 per cent. Under the centrally sponsored ‘Blue Revolution Scheme’ implemented for digging new ponds and their improvement and development of waterlogged and saline land, the grant money has been increased to 60 per cent from 20 per cent.
- National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources has declared Haryana as a fish disease-free state. Haryana is at second position in the country with fish production of 7,200 per kilogram per hectare per year in the year 2016-17 and 5,800 per kilogram per hectare per year in 2013-14. The fish production would be increased to 10,000 per kilogram per hectare per year in 2017-18, according to Dhankar.
Sources- The Statesman.
GS Paper IV- Ethics, Integrity.
Operation Muskan Launched In Odisha To Rescue Missing Children.
- Operation Muskan, a month-long drive to rescue and rehabilitate Odisha’s missing children, was launched by the state police on Saturday, 15th July, 2017.
- This is the third edition of Operation Muskan launched by the Crime Branch in association with the Women and Child Development Department.
- On the first day, as many as six children were rescued from the capital city.
Key Points Of This Development-
- A joint team of the Crime Branch and Commissionerate Police rescued the six children, who were working as child labourers at Khandagiri Square, Odisha. They were later sent to an open shelter home at Jatni.
- The first phase of the Operation Muskan will be held within Odisha to rescue the missing children.
- The police rescued 21 children working in various places in Ganjam district.
- The child labourers were rescued from Hinjili on Saturday, 15th July, 2017, the first day of the third edition of the month-long drive. They were working in eateries, garages, grocery stores and garment shops, said Prasant Kumar Sahoo, Inspector In-Charge of Hinjili police station.
- The parents of the rescued children have also been intimated.vSteps would be taken to rehabilitate them.
- The second phase will focus on rescuing and tracing missing children from Odisha in other parts of the country. It will be launched on July 31, 2017, said Special DG (Crime Branch) B.K. Sharma.
- As per direction of the Supreme Court for the protection of missing children, the Odisha Police has launched a month-long drive each year in two phases since 2015.
- At least 981 kids were rescued during the drive in 2015 while the police rescued 2,610 children in 2016.
Sources- Firstpost, Sify News.Page 1