GS Paper I- Indian Heritage, Culture.
Travellers’ Choice: Taj Mahal Only Indian Monument To Figure In Top 10 Global Landmarks.
- Taj Mahal, the magnificent monument of love, has made it to the top 10 landmarks in the world by securing fifth position in the list.
- One of the most iconic wonders in the world, the Agra- based imposing white marble structure, a tourist delight, is the only Indian monument to figure in the world’s top 10 Travellers’ Choice awards for Landmarks.
- Angkor Wat in Siem Reap (Cambodia) topped the list followed by Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Center in Abu Dhabi (UAE), Mezquita Cathedral de Cordoba in Cordoba (Spain) and St Peter’s Basilica in Vatican City (Italy).
Key Things To Look Out For-
- One of the most iconic wonders in the world, the work of Emperor Shahjahan, the Agra- based imposing white marble structure, a tourist delight which attracts thousands of people from throughout the world, is the only Indian monument to figure in the worlds’ top 10 Travellers Choice awards for Landmarks.
- Apart from the top monuments, Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood in St Petersburg (Russia) was at No. 6 position and Great Wall at Mutianyu in Beijing (China) was at No. 7.
- Machu Picchu (Peru) at No. 8, Plaza de Espana (Spain) at No. 9 and Duomo di Milano (Italy) at No. 10 completed the list.
- TripAdvisor India Country Manager Nikhil Ganju said that India has many incredible landmarks and paying a visit to them is a fantastic way to get acquainted with the countrys rich history.
- Among other Asian monuments Great Wall at Mutianyu (China) was at No. 3 position followed by Temple of the Reclining Buddha (Wat Pho) (Thailand), Fushimi Inari in Kyoto (Japan), Petronas Twin Towers (Malaysia), Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon (Myanmar), Cu Chi Tunnels in Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam), The Grand Palace (Thailand) and Kinkakuji Temple in Kyoto (Japan).
Sources- Hinustantimes, India Today.
GS Paper II-Governance, Polity.
Ministry Of Rural Development To Launch Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana
- The Ministry of Rural Development will launch a new sub-scheme under Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM) which will be named as “Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana (AGEY)”. Replying to a question in the Lok Sabha, the Minister of State for Rural Development Shri Ram Kripal Yadav said that the main objectives of AGEY are to provide an alternative source of livelihoods to members of Self Help Groups (SHGs) under DAY-NRLM by facilitating them to operate public transport services in backward rural areas.
- This will provide safe, affordable and community monitored rural transport services like e-rickshaws, 3 and 4 wheeler motorised transport vehicles to connect remote villages with key services and amenities including access to markets, education and health for the overall economic development of the area.
Key Points Of The Development-
- The concerned Minister said that the sub-scheme will be implemented in 250 blocks in the country on a pilot basis for a period of 3 years from 2017-18 to 2019-20.
- The States have been informed about the number of blocks allocated to them to take up this sub-scheme in the pilot phases. One of the options proposed to be given under the sub-scheme is that the Community Based Organisation (CBO) will provide interest free loan from its own corpus to Self Help Group member for purchase of the vehicle.
- The Government is implementing DAY-NRLM across the country in all States and Union Territories (except Delhi and Chandigarh). Under DAY-NRLM, till date, 34.4 lakh women SHGs have been promoted under the programme. The financial support under the programme is mainly in the form of Revolving Fund and Community Investment Funds, given as grants to the Self Help Groups (SHGs) and their federations.
- So far, the total amount released to SHGs is Rs. 1815 crore to about 3.96 lakh SHGs. A sum of Rs. 1088 crore has also been disbursed to 7.28 lakh SHGs as revolving Fund. DAY-NRLM also focuses on bank linkage of the institutions to enable their income. The Cumulative Bank Credit mobilized for women SHGs and their federations since inception is to the tune of Rs 1.19 lakh crores.
- The programme has a special focus on women empowerment including a dedicated component for promoting farm and non-farm based livelihoods for women farmers in rural areas. About 34 lakh women farmers have benefited under this programme.
- In addition, start-up enterprises at village levels are also supported to promote entrepreneurial activities in those areas. Projects have been sanctioned for setting up 79,814 enterprises in 5209 villages in 17 states in the country.
GS Paper III- Technology, Security.
‘mAadhaar’ App By UIDAI Launched On Android.
- TheUnique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has just launched the mAadhaar app for syncing Aadhaar data on the mobile phone. The mAadhaar app is only available on Android for now, and can be downloaded from the Google Play Store. One needs to be careful when typing the name and make sure it is mAadhaar, the developer name is UIDAI, which should be kept in mind..
- The app comes with a biometric locking/unlocking feature to secure the personal data. Once a user enables the locking system, the app remains locked till he/she chooses to either Unlock it (which is temporary) or disable the locking system. It also has a “TOTP generation” (Time-based One-Time Password) process which can be used instead of SMS based OTP.
What does the mAadhaar app do? How can a user rely on it? –
- Once people setup the mAadhar app, their Aadhaar card profile including your number, address and other details are stored on the app. The app will let users share their Aadhaar profile and data with third-party applications via NFC, QR codes, barcodes or even email their details. Interestingly, the app’s terms and conditions put the onus of responsibility on the user for “responsibly sharing” their Aadhaar data. Nowadays if someone is buying a new SIM card, he might be asked for an Aadhaar card, and this app will make it easier to share that information with the service provider.
How does the mAadhaar app work? How can a user set it up?-
- Before downloading the Aadhaar app on Android phone, one needs to make sure the mobile number on the smartphone is the same as the one linked to his Aadhaar card. This mobile number, which was submitted at the time of getting an Aadhaar card, is the one where he will get an OTP for verifying and setting up profiles on the Aadhaar mobile app. If that mobile number is not active, then verification won’t work.
- After the person has opened the app, he will be first asked to create a password. This password is important and he should pick a unique, complicated one. This password is required every time the person wishes to carry out any action on the app. After the creation of the password, the next page prompts to enter your Aadhaar card data. Once done with that, a verification code is sent to the registered mobile number and Aadhaar data gets synced. The app reads the verification code on its own.
Sources- The Indian Express, NDTV.