GS Paper I- History and Geography of the World and Society.
Ocean Forecasting System For Madagascar And Mozambique.
- The Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS) of the Ministry of Earth Sciences here inaugurated the Ocean Forecasting System for Comoros, Madagascar, and Mozambique at the third Ministerial Meeting of Regional Integrated Multi-Hazard Early Warning System for Asia and Africa (RIMES), held at Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, on 25th August, 2017.
- The ocean forecast and early warming information on high wave, currents, winds, tides, sub-surface ocean conditions cater to users like fishermen, coastal population, tourism sector, coastal defence officials, marine police, port authorities, research institutions and offshore industries of these countries.
Highlights Of The Development–
- These ocean services are aimed towards safety at the sea. The system would offer oil spill advisory services, high wave alerts, port warnings, forecast along the ship routes in addition to tsunami and storm surge warnings and help in search and rescue operations.
- INCOIS is already providing these operational services to Maldives, Sri Lanka and Seychelles. The Ministerial council and the WMO lauded and placed on record the initiatives of INCOIS/India in providing the ocean forecast and early warning services to Indian Ocean countries and taking a leadership in Ocean Services in the Indian Ocean region.
- The Ocean Forecast System developed for the Indian Ocean countries and the real-time data from their territories also help to improve the ocean forecast and early warning system for Indian coast too, according to Dr. Balakrishnan Nair, Head, Ocean Science and Information Services Hyderabad.
- Wave surge (‘kallkadal’) and coastal flooding incident occurred in 28 July to 3rd August 2016 along Kerala and West Bengal were well predicted and real-time data from Seychelles were highly beneficial for predicting these incidents, as many of these remotely forced waves are originating from Southern and Western Indian Ocean.
- The ocean forecast and early warning services are most essential for safe navigation and operations at sea and the blue economic growth of many of these Indian Ocean rim countries and Island Nations.
Sources- The Hindu.
GS Paper II- Governance.
Rajnath Singh Inaugurates YUVA – A Skill Development Programme.
YUVA Is Delhi Police Initiative Under Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana.
- The Union Home Minister Mr. Rajnath Singh inaugurated the YUVA – a skill development programme and an initiative by Delhi Police under Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana, on 29th August, 2017.
- Speaking on the occasion, Shri Rajnath Singh said that these kind of initiatives improve the image of the police among common man. He said that it is a big task that Delhi Police has opened skill development training centres in the police stations.
- Shri Rajnath Singh said that the Police should engage with the youth who are prone to drug addiction and other crimes. He expressed happiness over the fact that efforts are being made that about 70-80% youth under this project get employment.
Highlights Of The Development-
- Addressing the gathering, the Minister of State for Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (Independent Charge) Shri Rajiv Pratap Rudy said that under the guidance of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, the skill development has increased the employability among the youth.
- The ‘YUVA’ initiative by Delhi Police aims to connect with youth by upgrading their skill as per their competencies. It will help them to get a gainful employment under Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojna under the Ministry of Skill Development. Delhi Police has tied up with National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) for providing mass job linked skill training for the selected youth.
- A detailed exercise was conducted in all 13 districts of Delhi Police to select the youth in the age of 17-25 years for this training belonging to categories such as School dropouts, Juvenile offenders, Victims of crimes and families in dire state due to incarceration of the bread earner of the family, mostly from the underprivileged colonies.
- So far, 2,269 candidates have been selected to be trained by 36 training partners in 45 skills in the next three months. A total of 32 police station buildings have been identified where Skill Development Centers would be opened at the earliest.
- The youth coming for skill training in a police station building will be a huge step in building up their confidence and faith in police organization and will go a long way in building a positive image of police in the long run.
GS Paper III- Technology.
Twitter Launches Education Programme With Media Agencies.
- Twitter on 28th August, 2017, launched a new media agency programme named “#TweetToTheTop”, dedicated to young media executives.
- Eleven agencies from global media and advertising networks including Dentsu, GroupM, IPG and Omnicom would participate in the initiative in five nations of Asia Pacific that includes India, Singapore, Indonesia, the Philippines and Australia.
Key Points Of The Development-
- More than 60 per cent of agency leads still have challenges measuring ROI (Return On Investment) on social media marketing and more than 35 per cent are challenged on tying social to business goals.
- Considering the increasing integration of social and digital into everyday lives especially in Asia Pacific, Twitter is leading the first digital education programme dedicated to helping media agency professionals navigate an increasingly dynamic and complex landscape.
- #TweetToTheTop aims to entice young media planners and executives from the five markets to showcase their best work using Twitter solutions.
- The collaboration with the biggest agencies in Asia Pacific and the world will provide media agency professionals with exclusive access to Twitter’s arsenal of solutions and global advertising tech leaders.
- The top 25 among them will compete to have their work entered into “The Cannes Festival of Creativity” in July 2018.